Sit on your bed, closer to the head of the bed than to the foot of the bed.
- Scoot back onto the bed as far as you can.
- Lower yourself onto your side using your arms to help guide and control your body. At the same time, bend your knees and pull your legs onto the bed.
- Keep your knees bent. Roll onto your back. Keep your shoulders and hips together as a unit as you roll. Think of yourself as a rolling log. Your shoulders and knees should always point in the same direction.
Getting out of bed
- While lying on your back, bend your knees.
- Roll onto your side. Keep your shoulders and hips together as a unit as you roll. Place your bottom hand underneath your shoulder. Place your top hand in front of you at chest level. Slowly raise your body as you lower your legs toward the floor.
If you have trouble getting in and out of bed
- Try using the other side of the bed
- Try switching the head and foot of your bed (switch your pillows to the other end of the bed)
- Place a pillow between your knees when rolling
- Once you sit up, wait a few seconds before standing